Friday, March 13, 2009

2003 Domaine Le Murmurium "Opera" Cotes du Ventoux

Grape variety: Grenache, Syrah
Region: Cotes du Ventoux, Rhone Valley, France
Food pairing: Cassoulet



Truthfully, I first picked up a bottle of this gem from the Cotes du Ventoux because I needed a red wine for dinner with my sister, the opera singer. Yes, I allowed the name to persuade me. But I knew that our French wine buyer had recently sourced some great finds, and this turned out to be one of them. I was pleasantly surprised by how rich and well-made this blend of Grenache and Syrah drank for only $15, and immediately asked if we could get more for the Wine Club. Upon further research, I found that Mr. Parker was just as excited about this find as I was (and apparently didn't have the state-side hookup, sadly for him.)

"The 2003 Cotes du Ventoux Cuvee Opera is an amazing wine of great density, richness, and full-bodied potency." He began. "Sadly, there are only 4,000 bottles of this beauty, which tastes like a top-flight Chateauneuf du Pape. Enormously impressive, it admirably demonstrates the potential of this appellation's clay and limestone soils."

Visit us at GarysWine.com

No comments:

Post a Comment